Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Walton Ford at Paul Kasmin Gallery, NYC




Walton Ford has long been one of my favorite artists. He is even more one of my favorite artists after hearing him speak about his work last week at the Philadelphia Academy of Natural Sciences. I appreciated Ford's large-scale, iconic, natural history illustration-inspired paintings on a whole new level after hearing his engaging accounts of their specific historical inspirations and his own artistic process. His book Pancha Tantra--which I purchased and had signed that evening--is a deluxe, over-sized, exquisite object in its own rights, fitting the work it celebrates; better yet, the back section of the book reprints many of Ford's stranger-than-fiction historical sources.

Over the weekend, I paid a visit to his current exhibition at Paul Kasmin Gallery in Chelsea; Ford told me that this was his best show yet, and I heartily agree. This show closes December 23th; I encourage all that are able to check out these ambitions, enormous, inspiring works in person before the show closes.

You can get full details on the exhibition here. You can purchase a copy of his book Pancha Tantra on Amazon by clicking here; You can also come visit my copy at The Morbid Anatomy Library (click here) any time. You can visit the website for the Philadelphia Academy of Natural Sciences by clicking here. And special thanks to Lord Whimsy for bringing this lecture to my attention!

Images, top to bottom:
1) The Island, 2009; watercolor, gouache, pencil, and ink on paper; Panel 1: 95 1/2 x 36 inches, Panel 2: 95 1/2 x 60 inches, Panel 3: 95 1/2 x 36 inches
2) The Royal Menagerie at the Tower of London-3 December 1830, 2009
watercolor, gouache, pencil, and ink on paper; 60 x 119 1/2 inches
3) Borodino, 2009; watercolor, gouache, pencil, and ink on paper; 60 x 119 1/2 inches

No comments: